Pages

Thursday 17 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey - Week 1 Day 2 / Kowhaiwhai pattern - Create a kowhaiwhai pattern

🙏Suksabai, talofa lava (english - greetings/hello) blog viewers! New post awaits! 

Kia ora blog viewers this is my kowhaiwhai pattern that I created myself with only two symbols. I used a template for this task. It was a simple pattern to be made. It represents the leaves and the branches on trees. Do you know which is leaves and which is branches? The kuro/fern plant is playing the role of the branch and the mangopare/hammerhead shark as leaves. Do you know the meaning behind the two symbols? The kuro represents peace, growth, new life and strength which the mangopare also represents strength. the mangopare also has two other meanings, power and courage. Hope you enjoyed my description of my own kowhaiwhai! I will name my pattern taiao which means in english, nature.

Haere ra and thank you.                                                                                                                                  -Jin

 


1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Jin,

    My name is Zana and I am a blog commenter from the Summer Learning Journey.

    I thought this activity was very interesting as it teaches you about Tānerore who you are able to see often on these hot summer days and about the infamous kowhaiwhai pattern seen throughout Māori culture. I was glad to read what you had learnt about Tānerore, have you seen him in the hot air yet this summer?

    I really enjoyed your introduction to the activity and how you explained the Koru you used in your Kowhaiwhai pattern and went into great detail about the Koru and what it resembles and represents.

    I thought your Kowhaiwhai pattern was awesome, I liked the use of multiple different shapes with the Kuro and Mangopare and the orange background really made the pattern pop. The mirrored effect makes your pattern look very unique.

    I would like to know if there is a reason why you chose this background color?

    Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your posts over the summer.

    Ngā mihi nui,
    Zana Yates

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.